Monday, June 22, 2009

- Water Bizzef -

Paul and I are so glad we have tile in our whole house - yes even on the walls - and were reminded of that with a little incident this weekend. I returned from a trip to a city due east of us about 2 hours for a friend's baby shower on Saturday night. While getting ready for bed, I noticed some water under our sink on the floor. Now, water on the floor in our bathroom is no big news as we have had a leak for a few months now that the plumber can't seem to fix. But this water is normally found near our bathtub so we were surprised to find it by the sink. As Paul was brushing his teeth, he knelt down to check out the pipe for a possible problem...which turned out to be bigger than he bargained for! Just as he applied pressure on the valve to 'tighten' it, the pipe broke in his hand, leaving a fountain that quickly filled up our bathroom! We frantically gathered buckets to catch the water until Paul could get the water in the house turned off. I filled 3 buckets full of water, with an inch left standing in the bathroom and hallway - Oops!!! So, thus began 
the squeegee-ing. We used our trusty "jafafs" (our country's version of the Swiffer) to push the water from the bathroom into the kitchen. This left us wondering 2 things: 1) exactly how old is the pipe that just broke in half with no warning...and 2) why is there a drain in the kitchen and not in the bathroom?


Sunday morning, Paul figured out that the hot water line would still bring water to the shower so we were able to shower...however, we had to choose between scalding hot water OR freezing cold water. I went first, choosing to turn the hot water heater off for a cold shower since it's so hot in our house! (While taking my cold shower, I remembered that when I was a little girl, I loved penguins. So, at the end of my showers, I would turn the water super cold for about 5 minutes with the purpose of getting accustomed to the freezing feeling so I could go visit the penguins in Antarctica. Maybe it was, instead, to prepare me for life in Africa).

Well, I didn't have the water turned all the way hot (even for my cold shower) so, unbeknownst to us, water leaked out the whole time I was in the shower...leaving me yelling "KAIN MOOSHKEEL" (there is a problem) to Paul upon realizing the bathroom was once again flooded - except this time it was better: 2 inches of water in the bathroom, hallway, and office!!! Once again we squeegeed for 30 minutes....still wondering about that silly drain issue. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your floors must be REALLY clean!!!! Hope everything's better now. (Is that henna on your foot, Nat?) Have a GREAT time on your run. Can't wait for pictures and stories. xoxoxoxox

Erickson Family said...

Bizzef is one of the words I remember Carrie saying all the time! Made me smile. I LOVE your new title picture. Awesome!
Miss you guys constantly.

johndygert said...

I hope it is an encouragement that you are not the only one "squeegee-ing" on a regular basis. Our plummer basically made our leak under the bathroom sink worse... gotta love mold. Our bathroom floor is constantly moist because the drain is on the opposite end of our shower that sprays to the floor. We "squeegee" daily! It's part of life. Ha. Hang in there! I'm sure there are others out there too.... ~Dana

Kimberly said...

So why do flooding stories have to accompany every overseas living experience? Is it like some sort of hazing? You can be in the "You haven't really lived overseas until your apartment floods" club. Way to make it into the big leagues. :) I miss you guys!