Friday, October 16, 2009

- If you're from Africa, why are you white? -



Our little African Mutt, Cairo is doing great! She is growing so much these days - I wish she'd stop. Paul and I have a debate going on whether or not Cairo is a big dog. I say she is huge because the biggest dog I've ever had was Missy - a 6 lb. fully grown poodle - while his biggest dog was Satin - a 50 lb. mutt. At this point, Cairo is 5 1/2 months old and weighed in at 5.65 kilograms ~ about 12 lbs. My fingers are crossed that she is fully grown but I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck. As the title entails and you can see by the pictures, she is a pretty shade of white & tan. We enjoy her colorings and like to watch them change as she gets older - except when the colorings change to black which is the color she gets from walking around on the streets. Needless to say, she gets bathed at least twice a week!

She's becoming more cuddly and lovable while still learning that biting & barking gets you nowhere! Her kisses are hard to come by but very sweet when she decides it's time. My favorite thing about her is her paws and even more so, the mohawk on her nose. I call it a 'neef-hawk' which is the word for nose in Arabic.



For now, she is very much a puppy and we have a blast
playing with her. She is has a ton of
energy and we love to watch her try to run on our slippery tile floors. Along with the puppy fun comes puppy biting - we don't love it on our fingers and toes so she goes through a lot of chew bones a week!









And, in addition to loving chew bones, this girl loves to tote around a blankie! She knows which ones are hers and she carries them all over the house. My parents are visiting this month (YAY!!!) and my mom made her a new blanket which she loves as well.


We decided that Cairo wouldn't be allowed on our couches in our salon. However, I think Paul gave in the other day as I found them asleep...on the couch!



And then again the next day...Hmmm...







Cairo's favorite thing to do is play in the grass. Now remember that we live in a big city so grass is hard to come by but when we do find some, she goes nuts! She runs and runs and flips and barks...it's hilarious! We take her to play in the grass every Friday and sometimes during the week. Here is a clip of her going crazy a couple weeks ago (We can't take her off the leash because they're aren't fenced areas so she stays on leash). Then, after the grass playing, she crashes out for a few hours in her bed...







We also recently celebrated Paul's 26th birthday - he's getting so old :) This is what he looks like as a 26-year-old:

I made him this cake on his birthday and a few days later we celebrated by going to our fave sushi restaurant with some friends. Our concierge and his wife also came over on his birthday to bring him this bouquet of roses. I think it is the first time Paul has ever received roses - so sweet of them!

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Your dog is so cute and they really are good preparation for parenthood.

Kimberly said...

"Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white..." :)
Cairo is cute. Almost as cute as Pete. Wanna have a play date?