Tuesday, January 26, 2010

.4 Convos.

We have recently had 4 humorous conversations with nationals that gave us a nice giggle and wanted to share. The original title was '3 Convos.'; however, our discussion with a new waiter at our favorite cafe this morning cannot be ignored.

1: The first occurred in Arabic one afternoon between us and our friend, the concierge (We'll call him Fozzie). Paul and I were leaving our building (which is almost impossible to do without stopping to chat with someone first) heading to a meeting with a banana to snack on. The conversation went as follows:

Fozzi: Paul, I have a great idea.
Paul: Ok, what is it?
Fozzi: You have a banana. Put the skin of the banana on this step. Then, someone will fall and hit their head and need to go to the doctor in the building who needs work. Then everyone will get money: the doctor will get some and give you some of the money because it was your banana and he will give me some of the money because it was my idea! OK?!

2: This conversation happened just below our building after running into one of Paul's friends...let's name him Foo-Foo. He speaks relatively good English but not superb and refuses to use Arabic with us. Here's a portion of our time with him in English.

Nat: How's your wife?
Foo-Foo: She's doing great!
Paul: Oh good. And how is your baby?
Foo-Foo: She, she is doing well. Just growing. She has 9 months now.
Paul: Wow! Before you know it, she'll be one!
Foo-Foo: (deep thinking for a few seconds)...Before I know what?
Paul: It is an expression in English to say she will be one before you realize it.
Foo-Foo: Before I realize what?
Paul: It's just something we say to mean that time has gone fast.
Foo-Foo: But I know that she will be one in April so I don't get it.
Paul: It is just an expression...
Foo-Foo: Ok...
*At which point we changed the subject!

3: The following is an excerpt from a phone interview that Paul had involving him and a potential candidate for a job (he was conducting preliminary English interviews over the phone to see which people had decent English to be considered for an interview with an airline company). He had to evaluate their English, then invite them to interviews (if they pass) and explain what they were required to wear. It was funny to listen to just one side of the conversation as some english wasn't as advanced as others. He then enlightened me with what one girl said:

Paul: Ok, very good. Come to the interviews on Tuesday. I'm going to tell you what you need to wear.
Girl: Ok. I am prepared.
Paul: Ok, you must wear a skirt that is knee-length; it must come down to your knees. You must also wear tights that are skin colored - yes, the color of your skin.
Girl: And should I also wear tip-toes?
*How cute is that?! Tip-toes instead of high heels!

4: This morning, we ate at our usual Thursday cafe - we leave the house while our house helper cleans up because she is afraid of the dog. This particular cafe loves Cairo so we always go there. Today, however, we were surprised to find a new waiter, 'Gonzo.' After taking our order and hearing from another waiter that we come all the time, he introduced himself. Upon returning to check on us a few minutes later, this is what was said in Arabic:

Gonzo: Um, hello, what is your name again?
Paul: I'm Paul.
Gonzo: Ok, yes, um, do you know someone who wants to marry?
Paul: I'm sorry, what?
Gonzo: Me, do you know someone who wants to marry me?
Paul: Um...marry? Marry you?
Gonzo: Yes, marry.
*Then, his mom called. As we were checking out, he gave Paul his 'card' which happened to be a business card for a laundry company that he wrote his name and number on and said:
Gonzo: If you find someone, here is my number. Call me!

Hope you get as many laughs as we did out of these :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are awesome!

-cody

Lucy said...

That's hilarious. My favorite is the guy with the baby. He does have a point.

Anonymous said...

I think I will call my high heels "Tip-toes" from now on :) So many great memories you are making...

Kimberly said...

"Before I know what?" ha! That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing these conversations with us!