Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First Halloween :)

Brooklynn's had a fun first Halloween! It wasn't too different from a normal day...except that we made her wear a costume :) For work, I attached a few ruffles to a pumpkin shirt we found at Babies R Us. It turned out just how I pictured it - fluffy, bright tutu! My friend Janelle made her a sweet Halloween bow that was perfect for the outfit!
 I think she learned to walk so early so she could be even more adorable in her outfits.

Cairo also had a costume that my mom found at a yard sale. She actually didn't seem to mind the outfit but Brooklynn was a little afraid of Pumpkin Cairo. When she came around the corner, Brooklynn squealed and almost had a fit.


After many years of a family joke that all started with a bear, I knew that Brooklynn just had to be a nun for Halloween! This was mostly for my sisters and parents who always tease me about liking nuns but the costume turned out much better than I was hoping for. And Brooklynn looked SUPER adorable as a mini nun :)



 Here she is with the nun bear that started it all...


I didn't have a pattern for the costume but knew what I wanted it to look like. After one mistake (never forget to add seam allowances!), the dress took shape and fit well. The neckline was slightly wide at first so I added some elastic to draw it up a bit. The first dress attempt that ended up being too small turned into the "habit." I cut off the bodice and sewed on a strip of T-shirt to the skirt for the band. My mom let us borrow this large cross necklace from when she was in high school - it was perfect! The belt is a necklace that my Grandma had made years ago before she passed away. I always wondered why it wasn't a typical, circular necklace but I think it was so I could use it as Brooklynn's belt :)


Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

Linked: 
Link Party

5 comments:

The Azams said...

Natalie are you kidding me with that costume! That is the most original First Halloween costume EVER! Not to mention the cutest! Love it! Great job...and great job at being the cutest baby ever Brooklyn! :) Love you guys!

Denise said...

Could be THE cutest costume ever on the cutest Brooklynn ever. Great work Nat!!!! and thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

that is absolutely adorable!

Christie said...

Cute! You did a great job!

Kimberly said...

LOVE that nun! :) Geez, good thing I wasn't there with you on Halloween. I would have been having to say, "Nat, I see a nun!" ALL day long! Good work on the best costume ever.